Dec 14, 2012

A B+ Day



 My three younger kids are out of school and on Christmas holiday.  In an attempt to NOT have three young people glued to some form of technology on this stormy rainy day, I made some soft, squishy playdough.

  It brought literally hours and hours of squishy fun.  It even prevented an unexpected argument between my two compadres. Check it out . . .

Clara reaches in to take little brother's ornament.
Benjamin almost freaks out . . .
remembers . . . "hey I'm playing with playdough"
"I'm over it."


Their masterpieces were creative and clever.



A Little Lesson
Sometimes I give my day an actual grade . . . in my head.
Like laundry D, dishes B+ and one-on-one kid time A- and so on.
A self-evaluation so to speak. . . I know weird.
Instead of saying Shell you're so lame for not doing laundry I say - Whoo we're gettin a D in laundry today!
It keeps it light so I don't take myself too seriously.  Hey, each day somethings going to get a D. . . move on!
In terms of my kids filling time in an empty afternoon, not including homework, practicing or chores, 
it goes something like this.

Grade C-/D:  When kids spend the afternoon on a computer game or watching copious amounts of episodes on netflix. 

Grade C+:  When kids spend the afternoon doing something productive or creative on the computer.
starfall/webkinz/typing tutor/other websites I can't remember their names

Grade B+:  When kids spend the afternoon making or doing something with their hands.
art/painting/playdough/Lego/clay/paper planes/embroidery/baking/planting/

Grade A+:  When kids are reading an awesome novel (not Captain Underpants) or running free on the property building fortresses and kingdoms with plots and props and forgetting to come in to eat lunch because they are having so much fun
. . . ah summer I miss you.