Jan 6, 2013

Floored

Someone asked me the other day . . . is he rolling over yet?  I replied in slow motion as my brain started thinking in overdrive "nooooo heeeeee's nooooooot mmmmmmmmm"  It occurred to me this baby of ours, if you can believe it has never, yes, never been placed on the floor!  What!?!  He's over three months old!
All our other babies spent countless hours down there while we sat next to them, cooing, filming, clapping, talking and making ridiculous "getting the baby's attention" sounds.  Oh we have plenty of reasons for this oversight.

1. Our house doesn't have one square inch of carpet.  (not including the stairs of course, but laying him on the stairs seemed rather stupid.)

2. Our house is full of unruly dogs. (sort of)

3. There are twelve arms flapping around all over this house just craving for a few minutes of snuggle time with this baby rockstar.

And so folks, this is the FIRST picture of Parker Thomas laying on the floor.

Incidentally, in the fourteen minutes he spent on the floor, he did not roll over, and I had three people enter the room and say "What's he doing on the floor!!! I'll take him!"

A Little Lesson

I'm not reading the What to Expect the Toddler years, or surfing new mother websites or forums.  Nope.  When I run into a new mom holding a small infant anywhere, and there are a few minutes to converse, I quickly ask what they're worried about to make sure I'm not missing anything too big, as I try to shuffle my brewd around town.  The other day I did this and was reminded from a lovely new mom stranger about the good ol' vitamin D drops for babies in the winter time.  Whoops.  It's all good.

I was floored to find out from the nurses in the hospital, when I had Parker, the newest and latest for the new mother is:
1. we no longer swadle babies (we don't!!!)
2. when it's time to start feeding them solid food, start with red meat not rice cereal (what!)
3. There were a few more but I think I started tuning her out.

We used to let babies sleep on their stomachs, ride shotgun in the car without a seatbelt, and apparently pencils used to really have real lead in them.  It's a miracle we are all still here!