Jul 22, 2008

The Sun Was Shining


My talented sister-in-law Erin sent off Emily's baptism pictures to me today. What a treat to relive this very special day! Last month, the day after Emily's eighth birthday, she was baptized by her daddy as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It was a glorious day for all of us. The sun was shining and Emily couldn't stop smiling. After coming out of the water and as she was getting dressed she said "this feels way better then coming out of a bath!" It's amazing how little eight year olds in so many ways can really understand what it means to follow our Savior. When Emily was very young she really understood she had a loving Heavenly Father. When she was three years old I wrote in my journal: Today Emily said to me "Mom, does Heavenly Father put his hands on his hips when he is disappointed in us like you do?" I have spent most of Emily's eight short years marvelling at what goes on inside that amazing mind of hers and falling in love with my little sweetheart over and over again.


A few days before her baptism I wrote a special song just for her that I quickly recorded using my very unprofessional voice and sent it off as an mp3 via email to her primary buddies who sang it on her special day.

Today is the Day

Today is the day it feels like the sun is shinning
A little brighter in your heart.
Today is the day, you take our Savior's name upon you
It will be a brand new start.

We can follow our Savior's example
He will lead the way
We can live as forever families
and live with Him someday

Today is the day, you receive a gift from heaven
It will comfort you each day.
Today is the day, you can share your light with others
As you travel on your way.


A Little Lesson:
Sometimes I think we go through frustrating, crummy and all around rainy days, so that when a really great one comes along we will savor every little second.

8 comments:

  1. The song and slideshow is beautiful! I have always been amazed by your many talents. Emily is a beautiful girl. Can't wait to see you guys all again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the world of blogging! I love it and am always happy to see someone else get into it. My goodness I can't believe how much your kids have changed. I dont think I have seen them since our brief stint in Maple Ridge. They are adorable and so precious! I love your little life lessons too- very clever! Do you mind if I link your blog to mine (which is private so I don't get any weirdo's clicking away at my links)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sitting their wiping tears away and Hunter is standing behind me and says... sooooo how long is this.... It is absolutly beautiful. You sang too! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shelley, thanks for posting this. I was so sad I couldn't see Emily baptized and I just sat here bawling cuz she was so beautiful. It may be my hormones/pregnant craziness but I really apreciate it. We miss you. We find out on July 31rst what we're having so we'll be calling everyone to let you guys know. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful song! and a beautiful day! So glad I could be a part of it and share in Emily's baptism.
    love de

    ReplyDelete
  6. >>sniff<< Awesome... in the true sense of the word :) Very proud of my work on this one, but then Emily has to be one of the EASIEST subjects. Not hard to make her look beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shelley, you're so talented! Do you take requests?? ;) I love the song and the beautiful pictures of your daughter on her big day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I love this blog! Thanks for starting it. Your song is great and all the life lessons bring such inspiration and insight. Wish I could of been at the reunion!!!

    ReplyDelete